Friday, July 30, 2010

The Sullengers.

Two weeks ago, on the Sunday our ward announced little Gabe was on life-support in the hospital, I happened to come across Patrick and Ashley Sullenger's blog. Their little Preslee fell into a canal in Rigby two days before, on the 9th of July. Over the next few days, they had family members post updates on her condition, as they waited by her bedside in the hospital. While we began praying for our friends, The Savilles, (and their little Gabe), we also began praying for complete strangers - The Sullengers.

The day little Presless passed away, we were in Wyoming. My mom and I cried over the phone as she read to me a part of Ashley Sullenger's post:

"She was an angel sent here for us. An angel that has taught us about the miracles around us each and every day. When I think of what she accomplished in 1 week I begin to cry. She rebuilt testimonies, she introduced people to the gospel, she even saved a complete stranger’s marriage. Us, like many of you wonder why things had to turn out this way. With the hundreds and thousands of prayers offered up in her behalf and the complete faith we had for her to receive a miracle…why did this have to be?


One thing we have learned….that in the end all we have to really give is our will.


Elder Neal A. Maxwell rightly said: “The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”

------

Little Gabe and Preslee were buried on the same day. And their stories combined have drawn such a careful and perfect outline of understanding for me. With faith, we can see Heavenly Father's plan is entirely perfect. Perfect for us, and perfect for families everywhere.  And that plan isn't just in place for earthly time. It spans throughout eternity. Death is not the end. We continue on. How blessed we are to have that knowledge.

Ashley Sullenger has continued to write on her blog. She has come to be quite a hero to me. Preslee was the same age as Morgan, and she was their first and only child. Every time I read her posts, I can feel her strength. I'm thankful she is sharing her feelings during this trying time with those she loves, and also complete strangers. I think their journey from here on out will be one that is incredibly inspiring, so I wanted to share their story.

You can visit their blog by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails