Friday, July 30, 2010

(Consider yourself) Updated.


The day Jared and I came home from Wyoming, you could have been found at church chatting with/bragging to Jen Jeppsen how Morgan had never had the flu.

I crossed my fingers for my good luck to continue. And I knocked on wood.

But apparently I didn't knock hard enough.  Because within nine hours, I was changing sheets and doing wash, and scrubbing a sick little boy from head to toe in the bath tub.

I think there might be a word for this. Karma.

And as my husband says: Karma's a _ _ _ _ _.

(First-hand experience: it's true. And it sucks.)

And poor little Morg was sick, sick, sick. For five days straight he vomitted and had diarrhea around the clock. On the second day of symptoms, a visit to the doctor confirmed he had a strain of the Rotavirus. By the fifth day, he was only a hair away from having to be admitted to the hospital to be put on IV fluids to keep him from dehydrating. Which, switching from a lighter note, to a more serious one, I was very worried. He's always been really healthy, aside from a cold, here and there. And this virus seemed to take all of his energy, and mine, too.

By day five, we decided it was time for my mom to come. She brought with her pretzels, new pajamas, and an herbal remedy that she purchased from our family's herbalist. Within an hour after we gave him his first dosage, his symptoms entirely stopped. No more vomit. No more diarrhea. He was still skinny (so skinny), weak and drained, but I was grateful to have the bulk of the sickness subside.

I caught up on lots of missed sleep. And Morgan caught up (is still catching up) on lots of missed meals. He walked around begging my mom for "cheeeeeese" and yogurt, which he has eaten by the carton full ever since.

And of the things I thought a lot about during our draining week of sickness, a few should be mentioned.

One, is that I now feel extra compassion for parents of children who are sickly all of the time. It is emotionally draining to see your child in pain, and it's especially draining not to be able to help.

Two, is that I'm so thankful for general good health and strength.

Three: I think that Heavenly Father has provided us with the means to help soothe and cure most (if not all) of our physical ailments and I think those means come from combined modern medicine, as well as plants and herbs.

Four: My mom rocks. And she, once again, saved MY life. It reminded me of old times when she took care of us all the first two weeks of Morgan's life. And since while she was here, Morg was trying to catch up meals-wise, he was waking up every two hours to eat, like he was brand-new again. And she cared for him while we slept.

A few days later, he was all kicks and giggles again. Which I'm so grateful for.

Phew!












The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails