Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Getting ready for Christmas!




We had such a wonderful time preparing for our first Christmas at home. I would wrap a few presents each night and tuck them under the tree. Danny carried his around for several days before Christmas, and to our surprise, he didn't even try opening them up. The Saturday before Christmas, we went to see Santa at the Mall. He's the same Santa every year and he's so cute and so perfect! He told the boys he would bring them presents, candy canes and mistletoe for mom! We split up and did some Christmas shopping after that, and then went to Costco to pick out goodies for the next week. Sunday, we went to church (we were all healthy finally!) and really enjoyed hearing all of the wonderful Christ-themed Christmas lessons and music. I look forward to this every year. It was so sweet and powerful and the perfect way to start off the week of Christmas.

Monday, the boys and I made sugar cookies. We make these once a year, sometimes twice, if we are lucky. It's aunt Darlene's famous recipe, which makes the best sugar cookies I've ever had, but one cookie, and you're done! They are so rich. We had fun frosting them and preparing plates for Mr. Keller to take to his home teaching families.

Tuesday, I made an early-morning trip to Fred Meyer before Mr. Keller went to work. I really enjoyed this trip for some reason. It was quiet in the store, and I was so excited for the next few days. And to be home. I had so much fun picking out some new things for our dining table, a few new Christmas movies and a few last-minute gifts, as well. I came home with some beautiful fresh red tulips and some fresh tree clippings for our Christmas table and some holly berry sprigs. We listened to Christmas music all day and I had fun tidying the house and setting out special things for the next few days. I washed up my brand new Christmas dishes and set the table. Mr. Keller came home from work early since they closed the office and he took the boys on some errands and to drop off gifts to our old neighbor lady Cheryl, who still lives in our old neighborhood on Dunn Street. I finished wrapping presents and finally had a few quiet moments to watch my favorite Christmas movie Little Women while they were gone. Of course I cried in all the same scenes my mom used to cry in, and maybe a few more. It's such a tender story to me.
 

Here's our table all dressed up:


My new Christmas dishes, and my beautiful set of vintage crystal goblets that I would have paid a fortune for, but didn't since I scored them at DI for $0.50 a piece! All eight of them!



I also bought a package of cranberries. None of us like them plain, but they sure are pretty to look at!




Watching some new Christmas movies we added to our collection:
The cutest Mickey Mouse Christmas singalong that ended up being way sweeter than I expected. They were almost all vintage clips and songs from the early Disney collections (1930s, 1940s and 1950s). I LOVE this dvd! It's seriously the sweetest thing.
AND....Babar and Father Christmas which is one from my childhood! 
  


Sugar cookie baking!

Sprinkles with a side of cookie, Morgan's creation!






Our sweet little tree that I will have a terribly hard time parting with this year. I just love him.


And a few photos from Morgan's school Christmas program. 
He was getting over his cold, and wasn't feeling 100%, but he made it through and had a fun time at his school party, as well.


Waiting for Morgan's class to go on stage

Morgan is the third one from the left on the bottom row


Morgan and his teacher Mrs. Woodbury

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails